Tax-Free Growth in a ROTH IRA

Roth IRA

If tax-free earnings sound like a match for your retirement goals, you may want to consider opening or rolling over to a Roth IRA.

Roth IRA Features


Individuals who have a modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) of $133,000 or lower

Married couples who have a combined MAGI of $196,000 or lower

Learn more about Roth IRAs

Annual Maximum Contribution (2017)

$5,500 for those age 49 and younger
$6,500 for those age 50 and older

For more information, read Roth IRA Contributions

Investment Options

You have access to a wide variety of investments including stocks, bonds, mutual funds and exchange-traded funds

Support & Education

Stay on track for retirement with our free investment education and interactive retirement calculator

Contact your local Scottrade® team for personalized support


Roth IRA Tax Advantages


Contributions are made with after-tax dollars


Earnings grow tax-free


Withdrawals prior to age 59 ½ may incur a 10% IRS penalty as well as income taxes 

Withdrawals after age 59 ½ are tax-free if the account has been open at least five years


Transparent Pricing

Account Opening Fee


Account Maintenance Fee


Inactivity Fee


Online Trading Commission

Starting at $6.95 per trade
  Fees & Commissions


Before making any rollover decisions, investors should research and consider all available retirement options carefully. Your decision should reflect consideration of various factors, including the benefits and penalties involved. Some of these factors include, but are not limited to, investment or account related fees and expenses, differing levels of service available, withdrawal penalties, creditors and legal protections, required minimum distributions, and factors related to owning employer stock. The importance of these factors will vary depending on your individual needs and circumstances. Tax consequences may vary depending on state law and your individual situation. Scottrade does not provide tax advice. Please consult your tax or legal advisor for questions concerning your personal tax or financial situation.

How May We Help?