Tax-Deferred Savings in a Traditional IRA

Traditional IRAs

Take control of your retirement strategy

If you think tax-deferred earnings may be the right fit for your retirement plan, you might consider opening or rolling over to a Traditional IRA.

Traditional IRA Features


Individuals whose earned income equals or exceeds the amount of contributions

Annual Maximum Contribution 2017 

$5,500 for those age 49 and younger
$6,500 for those age 50 and older

For more information, read Traditional IRA Contributions

Investment Options

You have access to a wide variety of investments including stocks, bonds, mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs)

Support & Education

Stay on track with our interactive retirement calculators and our free investment education

Get personalized support from your local Scottrade® team


Traditional IRA Tax Advantages


Contributions may be tax-deductible

Read more about tax-deductible contributions


Earnings grow tax-deferred


Withdrawals prior to age 59 ½ may incur a 10% IRS penalty as well as income taxes

Withdrawals after age 59 ½ are taxed as ordinary income


Transparent Pricing

Account Opening Fee


Account Maintenance Fee


Inactivity Fee


Online Trading Commission

Starting at $6.95 per trade
  Fees & Commissions


Before making any rollover decisions, investors should research and consider all available retirement options carefully. Your decision should reflect consideration of various factors, including the benefits and penalties involved. Some of these factors include, but are not limited to, investment or account related fees and expenses, differing levels of service available, withdrawal penalties, creditors and legal protections, required minimum distributions, and factors related to owning employer stock. The importance of these factors will vary depending on your individual needs and circumstances. Tax consequences may vary depending on state law and your individual situation. Scottrade does not provide tax advice. Please consult your tax or legal advisor for questions concerning your personal tax or financial situation.

How May We Help?