Bond Maturity - Bond Tracker
Scottrade's Bond Tracker tool offers several methods to help existing clients manage their bond portfolios. This self-directed tool lets users create bond portfolios and build bond ladders based on existing holdings, or create watch lists based on current bond offerings. Creating a bond portfolio that aligns with your financial goals can help you:
- Make informed investment decisions.
- Manage risk in different interest rate environments.
- Build bond ladders to help you more effectively diversify.
What Can You Do with Bond Tracker?
- Create a bond portfolio based on your current positions, a new portfolio based on bonds you select or a combination of the two.
- Review maturity/cash flow reports based on the positions entered.
- Buy additional bonds to add to a current position.
- Sell a current position.
- Review depth of market on both the offer and bid side (if a market exists).
How Do You Use Bond Tracker?
Launch Scottrade Bond Tracker Tool
Log into your Scottrade® account, hover over Trade and click Bond Tracker under the Trade CDs & Bonds heading.
Create Your Bond Portfolio
To use the Bond Tracker tool, you will need to create your bond portfolio in one of three ways. Be sure to click Calculate/Save to update your information and any changes.
- Click Add To Portfolio to add start building a bond portfolio.
- Fill in the bond Quantity and CUSIP. You can use the CUSIP Lookup function to search for bonds by issue, coupon or maturity. CUSIPs for your existing holdings are located on the Positions page.
- Complete your portfolio by clicking Add Bonds.
- In the New Portfolio Name dialog box, create a name for your portfolio.
Using Bond Search from the Corporate or Municipal Bond search page:
- Type in the issuer or other criteria on the Bond Search page.
- Click the Find Bonds button.
- On the results page, place a check in the checkboxes to the left of the offerings in which you are interested.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Add Selected Bonds to Bond Tracker on the left to either add selected bonds to an existing portfolio or create a new portfolio.
- After selecting either new or existing, click Add Bonds to Portfolio.
- You will be directed to the Bond Tracker where you will see the bonds you selected.
Importing an Existing Portfolio:
- On the Bond Tracker page, click the + next to Portfolio Import.
- Name the portfolio you are importing.
- Be sure to review the File Guide to prepare the file prior to importing.
- Click Import and your report will appear on the right side of your screen.
The Bond Tracker results will appear in a detailed on-screen report. The name you assigned to the portfolio will appear under Portfolio List. A Principal Cash Flow graph will appear on the top right. Details of the CUSIPs you enter will appear under the Portfolio Details heading and include fields such as Quantity, Coupon and Maturity. You can filter the portfolio by selecting any of the underlined headings within the Portfolio Details section.
In the Portfolio Details portion of any report, there are a number of tools that allow you to implement changes from within the report. These tool buttons include:
- DELETE – To remove a bond from your portfolio. Be sure to click CALCULATE/SAVE to save changes.
- REPRICE PORTFOLIO – To update the Portfolio Details with current price of offerings in the market (if available).
- EXPORT – To export the portfolio details to an Excel document for the particular CUSIP.
- SELL – To take you to a prepopulated Online Bid Wanted page.
- BUY – To take you directly to the Offerings page for the particular CUSIP.
- SHOW DEPTH OF MARKET – To show all offerings and bids currently on the system.
For more information and educational articles on bonds — including bond types, bond investing, bond risks, variations on bonds and how to measure a bond's value — please visit the Knowledge Center.
Clicking this button creates a separate portfolio report, which will appear in a pop-up. The report contains three sections:
- Portfolio – This section provides a description of each bond along with current offer price (if available) and yield. Also shows pie charts that break down Bond Type, Maturity Allocation and Rating Allocation.
- Maturity – This section includes both a bar graph and descriptive section showing when the bonds within the portfolio will mature and the principal value of each bond.
- Bond Ladder –This section provides a bar graph indicating monthly interest income and a descriptive section showing detailed information of interest payments for each bond.
Bonds involve risks including, but not limited to interest rate risk, reinvestment risk, inflation risk, call risk, liquidity risk, credit risk, market risk, default risk, event risk, and a risk of loss of principal. New issue offerings are sold by prospectus or offering circular available at www.scottrade.com. Investors should read these carefully.
The strategies described in this article are for information purposes only, and their use does not guarantee a profit. None of the information provided should be considered a recommendation or solicitation to invest in, or liquidate, a particular security or type of security. Investors should fully research any security before making an investment decision. Securities are subject to market fluctuation and may lose value.