Quick Trade Bar
Scottrade's Quick Trade Bar allows you to get a quote for a security, find a symbol, build an option symbol or initiate a trade without leaving your current page. For example, you can research one company and get a quick glimpse at the competition using the Quick Trade Bar to get real-time performance information without abandoning your research. The Quick Trade Bar is attached to the bottom of your screen on every page in your Scottrade® account.
Complete any of the following tasks using the Quick Trade Bar:
- Get a Quote - Type a symbol or company name in the search field provided and click Go to view a real-time quote including the current bid, ask, dollar and percent change, and trading volume for a security.
Note: The volume displayed for the family of Dow Jones Indexes may be truncated. Multiply the displayed number by 100 to determine the precise index volume.
- Find Research - Type a symbol or company name in the search field provided and click Research to go to the symbol's Summary page in the Quotes & Research section of your account.
- Find a Symbol - To look up a symbol, enter all or part of a company name or a keyword in the field provided and click Go to search for a company's ticker symbol.
- Build an Option - Type a symbol or company name in the field provided and click Build an Option to view option contracts on a security. Use the drop-down boxes provided to choose call or put options, the desired type (e.g. standard, weekly, quarterly), expiration date and strike price. After you select your criteria, click Go. You'll see the option chain and associated performance data listed below the underlying symbol's key data.
- Check Major Market Indexes - View daily performance information and ticker symbols for the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DIJA), NASDAQ, S&P 500, and the NYSE before you get a quote. From any quote, clear the search field and click refresh to go back to a view of the major market indexes. Click on the name or symbol of any index to visit the Summary page for that index.
- Check Remaining Market Hours - On the right of the Quick Trade Bar, a daily countdown to market close is provided. The Quick Trade Bar can be used to get quotes and place trades in extended hours after regular market hours have ended.
- Place a Trade – Click the purple Quick Trade button at the bottom left of the Quick Trade Bar to expand the Quick Trade window. Enter the order type, number of shares, type of security and other information, then click Review Order to confirm and place your trade.
Options involve risk and are not suitable for all investors. Detailed information on our policies and the risks associated with options can be found in the Scottrade® Options Application and Agreement, Brokerage Account Agreement, by downloading the Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options and Supplements (PDF) from The Options Clearing Corporation, or by requesting a copy by contacting Scottrade. Supporting documentation for any claims will be supplied upon request. Consult with your tax advisor for information on how taxes may affect the outcome of these strategies. Keep in mind, profit will be reduced or loss worsened, as applicable, by the deduction of commissions and fees.
The analytical tools described in this article are for information purposes only and their use does not guarantee a profit. None of the information provided should be considered a recommendation or solicitation to invest in, or liquidate, a particular security or type of security. Investors should fully research any security before making an investment decision.