To place a stock or ETF order through your Scottrade account, follow these simple steps:
- Click on the Trade tab.
- Select your Buy/Sell action.
- Type in the number of shares you would like to trade.
- After entering the number of shares you would like to trade, enter the stock symbol.
- Next, we have reached the Order Type drop-down box. You can use the drop-down menu to select Market for your XYZ market order. Selecting Market as the type of order tells the market center that you would like to buy XYZ at the best prevailing price as soon as possible. However, there are no guarantees in regard to the price that you will receive.
- Last, choose the time in force or duration you would like to place on your order type. Market orders can only be good for Today. Market orders placed after hours will be good for the next trading day. Market orders are unavailable in extended hours trading.
- You are now ready to click the 'Review Order' button and place your trade.