My Positions in Scottrader
The My Positions window of Scottrader provides a complete list of the securities you own (long positions) or have borrowed (short positions). To view your positions, click the My Positions button in the upper left corner of the Quote Grid window.
The My Positions window displays the following data fields for each of the securities in your account:
- Symbol– A unique abbreviation assigned to a security so that it may be easily identified on its exchange.
- Trading– Provides links to close the position.
- Quantity– The number of shares for a position you are currently holding in your account.
- Last– The most recent price at which one share of the security was traded.
- $ Change– The intraday net dollar change for a single share from the previous day's closing price.
- Net Value– The current value of the total position.
- Account Type– Whether the purchasing account is classified as a cash, margin or day trading account.
- Second Opinion, Thomson Reuters, S&P Capital IQ– Analyst reports; you can see the last date an update was made by hovering your mouse over a rating and access a report on the security by left-clicking on a rating.
Cost Basis Information
Cost basis is the original value of an asset that is used to calculate gains and losses for tax purposes. For most positions, your cost basis will be the purchase price plus any commissions, and it will be adjusted for wash sales, corporate actions and/or return of capital during the time you hold it.
The Gain/Loss & Tax Center link in the upper right corner of the My Positions window will redirect you to the Gain/Loss & Tax Center located in your Scottrade brokerage account.
The following fields can help you track the cost basis of the positions in your account. When you are aware of the cost basis of a position and your current unrealized gains and losses, you can make more informed trading decisions to achieve your desired tax and investment objectives.
- Avg. Unit Cost– The average unit cost is the per-share cost basis of a position. The average unit cost is calculated based on the Unrealized Gain/Loss report in the Gain/Loss & Tax Center, and any intraday changes (For example, if you buy more shares of if there is a stock split.) will be displayed for reference only. The calculations in the Gain/Loss & Tax Center account for specific tax lots and the tax strategies you have selected for them, which are updated overnight, so the Gain/Loss & Tax Center always displays the most accurate figures first thing in the morning.
- $ G/L– Shows the per share unrealized gain or loss of a particular position as a dollar amount. Some updates may be made intraday, but you will always see the most updated data at the beginning of the day.
- % G/L– Shows the per share unrealized gain or loss of a particular position as a percentage. Some updates may be made intraday, but you will always see the most updated data at the beginning of the day.
- Total $ G/L– Shows the total dollar amount of unrealized gains or losses for all shares of a particular symbol. Some updates may be made intraday, but you will always see the most updated data at market open.
Note- If you see “—“ instead of a number value in any of the cost basis columns in your My Positions window, that means the position is incomplete. The Gain/Loss & Tax Center section of the Knowledge Center features more information about Incoming Positions.
To view positions in a linked account, select the account number from the drop-down menu in the upper left corner of the My Positions window.
To create an order from the My Positions window, click Quick Trade in the lower left corner and fill in the entry fields. Once all fields are complete, click Place Order.
All orders will be submitted in the account currently open in the My Positions window.
When you are finished viewing the positions held in your account, you can to navigate Balances, Open Orders or Today's Executions via the tabs at the top of the My Positions window.